Do you want to give your marriage a boost? It doesn’t take attending a weekend seminar or even reading a thick, hard cover book; you can boost your marriage in just one minute a day. Try these six ways to boost your marriage in sixty seconds.
1. Say “Thank you” or “You are an amazing spouse.” Everyone likes to feel appreciated and loved. Thank your spouse for the little things that they do that may go unnoticed. Let them know that you did, in fact, notice. Or just simply say, “You are amazing and I am so honored to share my life with you.”
2. Spend some spontaneous time together during a weekday. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the everyday things of life and just go through the motions. Let your spouse know that they are not just part of the weekday routine. Take an hour to have lunch with your spouse during the week. Or just send a text or make a quick call to let them know you are thinking about them. A little extra effort will go a long way.
3. Ask about their day. Everyone wants to feel important. At the end of a long day, you may not feel like listening to one more issue, situation, or recap; however, take a few minutes to ask your spouse about their day and really listen—make eye contact and respond. No need to problem-solve, just let them know that you care about how they are doing.
4. Kiss your spouse. Physical affection is an important way to show your spouse that you love them, especially on a day they may not feel particularly attractive or lovable. Take a spontaneous moment to show them that they are still the one you love.
5. Pray for them. Pray for your spouse. Pray for their protection, their needs, their concerns, and anything that you know is important to them. Also pray for your marriage, your children, your life together, and that God remains (or becomes) the center of it.
6. Encourage dream-chasing. Throughout our lives, we continue to have new dreams and also have some old ones that have yet to be fulfilled. Encourage your spouse to never lose that child-like gift of dreaming about the future–adventures, hobbies, travel. You will benefit as well because life will never be boring!
Try these six things for one week and let me know if you see changes in your marriage. I’d love to hear from you!