***CREATION MOMENTS MINUTE – FREE TO AIR! (Contact me to sign up!)
***DAILY DOSE OF WEIRD NEWS – FREE TO AIR! (Contact me to sign up!)
PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION: 20160423
WELCOME TO THE SHOW!
One thing I love about radio is that you have a little privacy from your audience. For example, and I know you can’t see this, but I’ve worn the same shirt for over a month now.
BIBLE VERSE OF THE DAY
He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he took up our infirmities and he carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. –Isaiah 53:3-4
Jesus said, “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” — John 10:28-30
HEARTLIGHT DAILY VERSE, PRAYER & THOUGHT
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea. — Psalm 46:1-2
Thought: God is not only our protector; he is also our helper. Even when our world seems to be crashing around us, he is there. He will deliver us from death or deliver us through death. He will deliver us from evil or he will deliver us to overcome evil. Our task is to trust that in the midst of our earthquakes and tidal waves we are not alone or abandoned.
Prayer: Holy God, I pray for those today who are in the middle of life’s earthquakes. You know those for whom I am concerned. You know I care about their struggles which are too big for me to mitigate and too painful for me to truly bring comfort. I ask you now, to bless them, be with them, and please deliver them quickly. You are our only true hope and Jesus is our only sure redeemer. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.
“BIRTHDAY VERSE” OF THE DAY
The chapter and verse corresponds to the month and the day!
Proverbs 4:23 NIV = Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.
TODAY IS SATURDAY – APRIL 23, 2016
(NOTE: Some holidays may be duplicated due to various calendars reporting conflicting dates)
WEIRD, WACKY, STRANGE, ZANY, ODD, BIZARRE, QUIRKY, UNUSUAL HOLIDAYS!
THERE ARE ONLY 245 SHOPPING DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS.
This is NATIONAL VOLUNTEER WEEK. ***MARLAR: Celebrations were suspended this year, however, as they did not have enough volunteers to make the event possible.
NATIONAL PLAYGROUND SAFETY WEEK begins today. ***MARLAR: So if you must fall from the monkey bars onto the concrete, please land on the softest part of your body possible.
This is NATIONAL KARAOKE WEEK. ***MARLAR: I took a Karaoke class once, and I still don’t see how it’s supposed to help me defend myself.
TODAY IS ALSO. . .
English Language Day
National Dance Day
Movie Theater Day
COMING UP NEXT
SUNDAY, APRIL 24
National Pet Parents’ Day
Mother, Father Deaf Day
MONDAY, APRIL 25
Hairstylists Appreciation Day
Hug a Plumber Day (Plumbers Day)
International Marconi Day
License Plates Day
National Mani-Pedi Day
Malaria Awareness Day
Spring Astronomy Day
TUESDAY, APRIL 26
Hug An Australian Day
National Help a Horse Day
Richter Scale Day
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27
Administrative Professionals Day (Secretary’s Day)
Babe Ruth Day
International Guide Dogs Day
Mantanzas Mule Day
Morse Code Day
National Little Pampered Dog Day
THURSDAY, APRIL 28
Biological Clock Day
Workers Memorial Day
World Day of Safety and Health at Work
Take Our Daughters & Sons to Work Day
FRIDAY, APRIL 29
National Hairball Awareness Day
“Peace” Rose Day
SATURDAY, APRIL 30
Bugs Bunny Day
International Table Top Day
National Animal Advocacy Day
National Go Birding Day
National Herb Day
National Honesty Day
National Rebuilding Day
Spank Out Day
World Veterinary Day
ON THIS DAY
33: According to Christian tradition, Jesus Christ was raised from the dead, marking this date as the first Easter. (Other sources put the year at 29 A.D., pointing to a four year mistake in the Gregorian calendar.)
1564: This date is believed to be the birth date of English poet and dramatist William Shakespeare; he died exactly 52 years later, also on April 23.
1616: William Shakespeare died on his 52nd birthday. ***MARLAR: It’s rumored that a friend of Shakespeare wanted to play a tuba at his funeral, but Shakespeare’s wife couldn’t decide if that was appropriate or not. Tuba or not tuba, that was the question.
1939: Singer Ray Peterson was born in Denton, Texas. He learned to play guitar while recovering from polio at a San Antonio hospital. His 1960 hit “Tell Laura I Love Her” made the Tear Jerker Hall of Fame.
1949: Gov. Adlai Stevenson of Illinois vetoed a bill that would have protected birds by requiring the legal restraint of cats.
1952: In his first major-league at-bat, New York Giants relief pitcher Hoyt Wilhelm hit his first and last home run. He pitched in 1,070 games in 21 years, but never hit another home run.
1964: Ken Johnson of the Houston Colts threw the first no-hit game for a loss in baseball history. Cincinnati’s Reds beat Johnson’s no hitter by a score of 1-0 by capitalizing on two costly Houston errors.
1971: Harold Witcomb and Gerald Harding shelled 12,600 eggs in a 7-hour shift in Bowyers, England. Both men were blind.
1975: B.J. Thomas scored with the longest song title to hit #1 on Billboard’s pop music chart: “(Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song.” It stayed #1 for one week.
1985: Coca-Cola announced it was changing the secret flavor formula for Coke. Negative public reaction forced the company to resume selling a version similar to the original. ***MARLAR: Think of it as Van Halen hoping to gain more fans by releasing an album of Broadway tunes.
1989: With the first pick in the NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys chose UCLA quarterback Troy Aikman.
1989: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played his last game with the Los Angeles Lakers.
1991: The U.S. issued a patent (#5,008,959) to Edward and Richard Coppage of Centreville, Virginia, for their Bulletproof Dress Shirt, a bulletproof shirt that can be manufactured in various colors and styles to keep a person fashionable and safe. ***MARLAR: It used to be that Mom would only ask you to wear clean underwear in case of an accident.
1997: A replica of playwright William Shakespeare’s English birthplace, Stratford-on-Avon, opened 40 miles east of Tokyo, Japan.
2001: Two Canadian youngsters used a blanket to catch a four-year-old boy falling from a fourth-floor window. Police praised nine-year-old Stephanie Boddy and six-year-old Samantha Quinn for their quick reactions. The girls saw Skyler Christou toppling out of a window in Barrie, Ontario, when they were having a picnic. Samantha and Stephanie used their blanket to catch the toddler. He bounced off onto the ground, but the blanket broke the fall and he was not seriously hurt.
2002: President Bush’s top White House aide, Karen Hughes, resigned to go home to Texas with her family.
2005: Health officials in Vietnam said they feared the South Asian outbreak of bird flu was likely to spawn a pandemic.
TODAY IN CHRISTIAN HISTORY
33: According to Christian tradition, Jesus Christ was raised from the dead, marking this date as the first Easter. (Other sources put the year at 29 A.D., pointing to a four year mistake in the Gregorian calendar.)
303: Christian martyr Saint George is believed to have been killed. According to legend he rescued a Libyan king’s daughter after slaying the dragon that was about to devour her. Although little factual information is known, it is said that Saint George’s defense of Christianity led to his arrest, torture, and execution.
1073: Hildebrand is elected pope, taking the name Gregory VII. The first pope to excommunicate a ruler (Henry IV), Gregory was driven out of Rome in 1084. “I have loved righteousness and hated iniquity,” were his last words, “therefore I died in exile.
1538: John Calvin and William Farel (whom Calvin was assisting) are banished from Geneva. The day before, Easter Sunday, both had refused to administer communion, saying the city was too full of vice to partake. Three years later, Calvin returned to the city he would forever be associated with.
1959: Church properties in Poland are confiscated by the Communist government. The church is required to lease them back for use.
1968: The Evangelical United Brethren Church joins with the much larger Methodist Church, forming the United
HOLLYWOOD, SPORTS AND CELEBRITY FIGURE BIRTHDAYS
- actress (“Birds of Prey,” Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer ) Rachel Skarsten 31 (audio clip)
- actress (Detective Stella Bonasera on “CSI: NY,” Dr. Sydney Hansen on “Providence” ) Melina Kanakaredes 49 (audio clip)
- actor-comedian (“George Lopez”) George Lopez 55 (audio clip)
- actress (“One Day at a Time,” “Touched By An Angel”) Valerie Bertinelli 56 (audio clip)
- comedian (“Saturday Night Live”) Jan Hooks 59 (audio clip)
- actress (“Three’s Company”) Joyce DeWitt 67 (audio clip)
- filmmaker-author (Fahrenheit 9/11, Bowling For Columbine, Roger And Me) Michael Moore 62
- actor (“The Big Valley,” “The Fall Guy,” “The Six Million Dollar Man”) Lee Majors is 77 (audio clip #1, audio clip #2)
(Music Artist Birthdays From SongFacts.com)
1891 : Sergey Prokofiev
1935 : Ray Peterson
1936 : April Stevens
1936 : Roy Orbison
1940 : Dale Houston (Dale & Grace)
1947 : Glenn Cornick (Jethro Tull)
1949 : John Miles
1952 : Narada Michael Walden
1960 : Steve Clark (Def Leppard)
1969 : Stan Frazier (Sugar Ray)
SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE
Where do mosquitoes hang out, and what do they do when they’re not biting you?
Who knows where the bloody things hang out? Maybe at the Type O Club, where old proofreaders also go to get away from it all. Ok, I did the research. Typically, mosquitoes put the bite on you at night or, if they’re crepuscular (sounds like someone who doesn’t blow his nose, doesn’t it?), at twilight. They hate sunlight, but you probably already guessed that. During the day, they’re likely to be in the grass, on a tree, under a bridge or in a house on a wall away from light. And what are they doing when not drinking your blood or mating? Not much of anything. Well are they just hanging out or asleep? We’re not sure. If you have an itch to know, put your ear next to one and tell me if it’s snoring.
Source: DO PENGUINS HAVE KNEES? By David Feldman
CHRISTIAN ARTIST NEWS
Do you like the Christian Artist News you see below? It’s just a tiny sample of the 5-6 pages of material you could be receive every weekday… and it’s FREE! Become one of their subscribers at ChristianRadioShowPrepServices.com!
Francesca Battistelli is struggling. She posted: When a chef on Chopped pronounces hummus “HOOmus,” I just…can’t.
Natalie Grant is serving as a guest blogger for Bethel music this month. Natalie shares the personal story behind her song Ever Be, telling how God spoke to her through the song and their voices raised in praise. http://ow.ly/4mTAu2
Building 429 is looking for your I Am Unashamed story. They ask that you include the hashtag #IAmUnashamed when sharing your story on social media. The members if Building 429 will then share as many as they can on the website.
Mandisa now has at least one important part in place as she plans for her eventual marriage. She posted: I hope I get married one day…cuz I just heard the best wedding song ever. The song is titled: I Get To Love You. Mandisa added: Now I just need the husband. http://youtu.be/wMgzldfzVjQ
An announcement from Kutless member James Mead this week. He posted on Instagram: I think I’m gonna try this whole fashion thing. I’m gonna make custom “one of a kind” items to sell. Follow me to keep up.
The Newsboys are getting a lot of press these days. A day after Saturday Night Live spoofed their movie, God’s Not Dead 2, their song “Hero” was used on NBC in an ad for the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Third Day’s Mac Powell introduced something new this week, the Mac and Tug Show. As part of the very first show in the series, Mac And Tug Talk Nostalgia and 80’s Movies, Mac Shares His Recent Experience At A Springsteen Show and Finally Mac Interviews the Other Members of Third Day!
When Mandisa toured with Brandon Heath they were known BranDisa. So it was only natural that, as Mandisa prepared for her tour with Jeremy Camp, she would look for a new nick name. Mandisa held an informal poll over the weekend asking for her fans thoughts on three possibilities: CampDisa, JeremIsa, or ManCamp. And the winner was CampDisa. The CampDisa tour begins this week and Mandisa says no tents are required.
The latest release from Citizenway is titled When I’m With You. And recently the members of the band sat down to talk about the song. It came from a very difficult time in one of the band members lives after losing a son and then making a major move. The song talks about the encouragement of spending time with Jesus even when you don’t know what to say.
The band Switchfoot was recently in Manila for a concert and a video shoot and now front man Jon Foreman is sharing his journal entry about the experience. He says that, in advance of the trip, the journey made little sense. But he added that, while sitting at a busy intersection in the country, it all seemed to come together. He says the two days in Mania were “enough to begin a new era for me solidifying the purpose and meaning behind these songs, and why we sing.” Jon added: “We sing because we’re alive, we sing because we’re looking for resolution, we sing because we’re thirsty for more, we sing because hope deserves an anthem.”
(No news on the weekends.)
NEW NEWS KICKERS…
NEWS KICKER EVERGREENS…
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD TODAY’S EPISODE… “Wrong Numbers”
DAILY COMEDY CLIP
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD TODAY’S EPISODE… Kenn Kington, “Whatever You Want To Be”
AS THE JUNGLE TURNS – WEEKDAY VERSION
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD MIONDAY’S EPISODE
OPEN: And now, FancyMonkey.com, (Show Name), and (Station Call Letters) bring you As the Jungle Turns! When last we left the jungle, Gruffy was thinking about how great it was that his cave was situated right in front of the main path everyone used to get wherever they were going. That meant he could see all of his friends everyday! And this morning, Nozzles the Elephant passed by on the way to the library…
CLOSE: Being an entrepreneur is a good thing… right? Besides, Nozzles did tell Gruffy to build the toll booth, right? He was just being sarcastic, but still… it was a very interesting business idea! We’ll find out next time how Gruffy’s friends like the new toll booth, As the Jungle Turns!
AS THE JUNGLE TURNS – SATURDAY/SUNDAY VERSION
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE EPISODE FOR THE WEEKEND OF APRIL 23/24
OPEN: FancyMonkey.com, (Show Name), and (Station Call Letters) bring you As the Jungle Turns! Last time, everybody was so caught up in their own talents, voices, and instrument playing that nobody was making beautiful music together… because nobody was together at all! In fact, even all of the band members wanted to do their own solos! Everyone wanted their own spotlight.
CLOSE: Okay, I think we’ve gone just about as far with this solo-thing as we can go. If individual piano keys and individual guitar strings won’t play together, what’s left? Find out next time – As the Jungle Turns!
***You may simulcast “As the Jungle Turns” on the Internet stream of your live broadcast only. Any other Internet use of “As the Jungle Turns” in whole or part including podcasting of your live broadcast is a violation of copyright law. Thank you for your cooperation on this vitally important issue. If you have any questions, please e-mail us and ask about “Jungle Jam & Friends the Radio Show” usage.
MOMENT OF DUH
Spend any time in a hospital and you’re bound to be shocked by the type of bill you can rack up…
… and Herman Wicker of Evansville, Indiana is upset at the amount of his hospital bill, too. He recently received a bill for one cent. That’s right… a penny. The retired car salesman went to the emergency room and was billed a penny. But Wicker still refuses to pay it. He says Medicare and private insurance covered his visit. And get this – a collection agency came after him saying that if he didn’t pay the penny, he would be in jeopardy of hurting his good credit rating! However, he still refuses to pay the bill.
TOP TEN REASONS NOT TO COME TO CHURCH IN THE SUMMER
- The last time you wore your sunglasses in church the preacher got paranoid.
- You’re part of the church baseball league and last week you made a sacrificial bunt. That should count for something!
- Your kids are already getting all the moral values they need from cable TV
- Hey, inner peace, fulfillment and salvation are probably over rated anyway.
- The last time you attended the worship service, the deacons frowned on you using the collection plate to practice your putt!
- Because you figure if God wanted us to go to church in the Summer, He would have commanded us to install BBQ pits!
- Hey, the disciples went home and fished for awhile, so why can’t you?
- Even Larzarus slept in once in a while, right?
- You mean they HAVE church in the summer?
- Sadly, you don’t understand how important your efforts and support are for the Body of Christ in your area!
THE FILES OF LAW & DISORDER
Sometimes the police see the strangest things when they pull someone over.
FILE #1: A state trooper in Brazoria, Texas, pulled over a car that was making suspicious U-turns. He then noticed a six-foot alligator riding contentedly on the ledge below the back windshield. The driver, William Johnson, told the trooper that there was also a water moccasin, a poisonous water snake, in the car, and it had bitten him on the hand. Johnson moved to Texas from Tennessee and was known for his love of reptiles. He was arrested for intoxication, then on burglary charges after the cop found a stolen hair trimmer and game controller in his car. Earlier that night, he had allegedly knocked on a door at a trailer park to ask for help moving a TV. The homeowner told him, “That’s not your house,” and he left the TV on the lawn and drove away with his gator and snake.
FILE #2: Three robbers plotted to rob a bank south of Stockholm recently. Apparently, they didn’t spend a great deal of time on their planning. As one masked man stormed into the bank with an automatic weapon and demanded that the teller hand over the money, the two others waited outside in a getaway vehicle. The gunman quickly ran out of the bank, hopped into the getaway car and the sped away empty handed. It turned out to be a cashless bank branch.
FILE #3: Police in Honolulu are looking for a man who tried to rob a bank. ‘Tried’ would be the operative word in the previous sentence. The man walked up to a teller with a note demanding money. While the teller tried to figure out what the note said, the man handed over a second note for a withdrawal. When the teller then asked him for ID, the man got flustered and took off empty handed.
STRANGE LAW: In Maine, shotguns are required to be taken to church in the event of a Native American attack.
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS
Car, where’s my dude?
Police near Bismarck, North Dakota, recently stopped a car on Interstate 94 because it had steam rolling out from under the hood. It turns out that the car was smoking marijuana. The deputy discovered a bag of marijuana shoved against the vehicle’s air intake, which was causing the car to overheat. 37-year old Johnny Lerma got to cool his heels in jail for felony possession of marijuana and driving on a suspended license.
What kind of things did your parents used to pack in your lunch that you absolutely hated? Did you always trade them to some other kid, throw them in the trash, or did you eat them anyway?
BIBLE BRAIN BUSTER!
QUESTION: To whom did Jesus say, “Hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven”?
ANSWER: The High Priest (Matthew 26:64)
QUESTION: What food should never be stored near potatoes?
ANSWER: Apples… they give off ethylene gas which causes potatoes to sprout.
TRUE OR FALSE
Pay attention! If our next player doesn’t answer all ten T/F questions correctly we start all over from question #1! First person to answer question #10 correctly is our winner!
- The average woman consumes 2 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime. (False – 6 pounds!)
- The average person swallows 8 spiders a year. (True)
- It only takes 7 pounds of pressure to rip your ear off. (True – ouch!)
- Air causes super glue to dry. (False – it’s moisture that dries Super Glue.)
- A wedding ring is generally exempt by law from inclusion among the assets in a bankruptcy estate. (True. That means that a wedding ring can’t be seized by creditors, no matter how much the bankrupt person owes.)
- Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them. (True. A fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.)
- Tuxedo Park, New York is named after the tailless dinner jacket of the same name. (False – the tuxedo was invented in Tuxedo Park, New York. It is named after the town…not the other way around.)
- There is no such thing as naturally blue food. (True, even blueberries are purple.)
- Venetian blinds were invented in Australia. (False – Japan)
- Welsh mercenary bow men in the medieval period only wore one shoe at a time. (True)
TABLOID MATCH GAME
You have to match the blank in the tabloid headline with the word or phrase that has been removed!
STUDY: CONGRESS FILLED WITH _______ (MORONS)
CAMBRIDGE, MA – A groundbreaking study has determined that 83% of the members of Congress are certified morons!
The Kennedy School of Government did a longitudinal study over the last 30 years that looked at the average IQ of members of Congress – the Senate & House of Representatives.
The study found that, despite the many advanced degrees from prestigious universities, and despite the fact that many in Congress are millionaires, the average IQ of U.S. Representatives is 101. The average IQ of U.S. Senators, is surprisingly, even lower at 98.
“We spent one hour a month with each member of Congress over the last thirty years. We gave them a number of IQ tests – including math problems, verbal problems and analytic reasoning problems. The results were consistent year-in-year out. Members of Congress are morons,” said Professor Thomas Turley of Harvard.
THE WAY TOO EARLY IN THE MORNING TO UNDERSTAND THE PUNCHLINE EVEN AFTER TWO CUPS OF COFFEE JOKE OF THE DAY
A woman had gained a few pounds. It was most noticeable to her when she squeezed into a pair of her old blue jeans. Wondering if the added weight was noticeable to everyone else, she asked her husband, “Honey, do these jeans make me look like the side of the house?”
“No, dear, not at all,” he replied, “Our house isn’t blue.”
He is almost over the cold he caught sleeping in the garage for 3 nights.
Alice Grayson was to bake a cake for the Baptist Church Ladies’ Group in Tuscaloosa, but she forgot to do it until the last minute. She remembered it the morning of the bake sale and after running through cabinets, she found an angel food cake mix and quickly made it while drying her hair and dressing and helping her son pack up for Scout camp.
When Alice took the cake from the oven, the center had dropped flat and the cake was horribly disfigured..She said, “Oh dear, there is no time to bake another cake.”
This cake was so important to Alice because she did so want to fit in at her new church, and in her new community of friends. So, being inventive, she looked around the house for something to build up the center of the cake.
Alice found it in the bathroom– a roll of toilet paper. She plunked it in and then covered it with icing. Not only did the finished product look beautiful, it looked perfect.
Before she left the house to drop the cake by the church and head for work, Alice woke her daughter and gave her some money and specific instructions to be at the bake sale the moment it opened at 9.30, and to buy the cake and bring it home.
When the Daughter arrived at the sale, she found the attractive, perfect cake had already been sold..Amanda grabbed her cell phone and called her mom. Alice was horrified, she was beside herself. Everyone would know, what would they think? She would be ostracized, talked about, ridiculed. All night Alice lay awake in bed thinking about people pointing their fingers at her and talking about her behind her back.
The next day, Alice promised herself that she would try not to think about the cake and she would attend the fancy luncheon/bridal shower at the home of a friend, and try to have a good time. Alice did not really want to attend because the hostess was a snob who more than once had looked down her nose at the fact that Alice was a single parent and not from the founding families of Tuscaloosa, but having already RSVP’d. She could not think of a believable excuse to stay home.
The meal was elegant, the company was definitely upper crust old South…and to Alice’s horror, the CAKE in question was presented for dessert. Alice felt the blood drain from her body when she saw the cake, she started out of her chair to tell the hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, the Mayor’s wife said, “what a beautiful cake!” Alice, still stunned, sat back in her chair when she heard the hostess (who was a prominent church member) say, “Thank you, I baked it myself.” Alice smiled and thought to herself, “GOD is good.”
A high school senior, saw an inspirational advertisement on television about becoming a teacher. She called the number shown: 1-800-45TEACH. After a woman answered, the student babbled on about how she thought she had found her life’s calling and could she send her some information.
The lady who answered the phone asked the student what number she was calling. The student told her and there was a long pause.
Then the woman said, “You misspelled ‘teach’.”
A cat in London was put on a drug similar to Prozac because it was depressed and gaining weight. ***MARLAR: Wait a minute… so it was getting fat and acting lethargic? Isn’t that called “being a cat”?
A recent report says there are currently 1.5 billion cell phones in the world. ***MARLAR: And they’re all being used by someone driving in front of me.
My wife is too afraid of cockroaches, one fine day I heard scream of my wife. She saw a cockroach and was screaming. I asked her to take the killing spray and to spray on the cockroach. She took the spray and turned to me and said, “THIS SPRAY IS ONLY TO KILL THE MOSQUITOES,” and how can it work for the cockroach, I said to her. “Don’t show the label to the cockroach!”
IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO!
Did you know that Molly Ringwald turned down the Julia Roberts role in the movie “Pretty Woman?” And that Robert DeNiro was being considered for the role of Willy Wonka? It’s true!
- Molly Ringwald turned down the Julia Roberts role in the movie “Pretty Woman”
- While we’re talking about Julia Roberts movies, Sandra Bullock lost out to Julia Roberts for “Runaway Bride.”
- We know the new version of Willy Wonka played by Johnny Depp – but Robert DeNiro was being considered for the role, as was Jim Carey and John Cleese.
- Meanwhile, Johnny Depp lost the role of Johnny Blaze in “Ghost Rider” to Nicolas Cage, the role of “Mr. Smith” to Brad Pitt, and the role of Jack in “Titanic.”
- Along with auditioning for Willy Wonka, Robert DeNiro was also considered for the role of Sal in “Do the Right Thing,” and the role of Hannibal Lechter in “Silence of the Lambs.”
- Jim Carey didn’t get the part of Willy Wonka, nor did he get the part of Howard Hughes in “The Aviator” – which went to Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Another Willy Wonka wannabee? Brad Pitt. And though the part of Jason Bourne went to Matt Damon for “The Bourne Identity” it was actually written with Brad Pitt in mind.
Jessica Alba auditioned for the part of Elektra in “Dare Devil, a role which ended up going to Jennifer Garner.
- Alec Baldwin turned down several roles including Batman in two of the Batman movies (which went to Michael Keaton) and Sam in “Ghost.”
- Harrison Ford was also considered for the role of Sam in “Ghost.”
- This would’ve been interesting… Ashton Kutcher turned down for the role of Batman in “Batman Begins,” and the role of Superman in “Superman Returns.”
- While we’re talking super heroes, Paul Newman tested for the role of Superman (which of course went to Christopher Reeve). He was also, considered for the role of James Bond in “Live and Let Die,” and lost the role of “Dirty” Harry Callahan to Clint Eastwood. .
- Clint Eastwood was considered to play the part of Rambo in “First Blood.”
- Keanu Reeves as Wolverine? Almost – but he was turned down. He was also turned down for the role of Charlie Babbit in “Rain Man,” and Aragorn in “Lord of the Rings.”
Nicolas Cage turned down for the role of John Bender (the tough guy Judd Nelson part) in “The Breakfast Club”
- Courtney Cox auditioned for the role of Princess Buttercup in “The Princess Bride”.
- Mel Gibson auditioned to play Mozart in “Amadeus” and lost the part to Tom Hulce. He also lost out to Robin Williams in “The Dead Poet’s Society”.
- Hugh Jackman lost the role of Robert Langdon in “The DaVinci Code” to Tom Hanks.
- Courtney Love didn’t get the parts of Dorothy in “Jerry Maguire” or the lead role in “Moulin Rouge.”
- Jack Nicholson lost the role of Benjamin Braddock in “The Graduate” to Dustin Hoffman.
- Gwyneth Paltrow – One of the contenders for Samantha in “Bewitched” and lost the role of Roxie in “Chicago.”
- Meryl Streep lost the part of Evita to Madonna. (What?!??! How do you give a role to Madonna rather than Meryl Streep?!??!)
- John Travolta was turned down for a part in “Apollo 13.”
- Mark Wahlberg – Considered for the lead in “Cinderella Man.”
- Ally Sheedy was turned down for a lead in “A League of their Own” and “Sixteen Candles.”
EVEN IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, YOU STILL HAVE TO OBEY THEM
It’s been a long while since I wrote this, but I stumbled across it while preparing for the show today and thought I’d share it with you. Back in 2001, the American Civil Liberties Union and five Denver residents were offended by the granite Ten Commandments tablet outside the Grand Junction City Hall in Denver, Colorado. They filed suit against the city. The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Denver, claimed Grand Junction was promoting religion by having the commandments outside the entrance to the new city hall. But really, what’s so wrong about a City Hall displaying the ten commandments? In fact, the law requires us to obey almost every single one of the commandments already! Don’t believe me? Let me show you…
- “I am the Lord, your God, you shall not have any other God besides me.” Think you don’t live life by this one? Think again… “In God We Trust” is printed on all of our money. I don’t recall ever seeing a dollar that says, “In the stars we trust” – do you?
- “You shall not take the name of the Lord, Your God, in vain.” You might think this means swearing – but it actually means we should speak with reverence about God and to revere His name; to be truthful in taking oaths and to be faithful to our vows. These ten commandments are in front of a court building… and what do they do before allowing you to testify? They make you swear to tell the truth on the Bible. Thus, lying would be taking God’s name in vain. You can’t do that by law either!
- “Remember to keep holy the Sabbath Day.” Unfortunately, many people do ignore this one… but there are still cities in this country that force you by law to close the doors to your store on Sunday. (And on Saturdays in Jewish neighborhoods and cultures.)
- “Honor your father and your mother.” To this day you still are not allowed to do certain things – by law – without your parents’ permission. Sorry kids!
- “You shall not kill.” There’s a law against this isn’t there?
- “You shall not commit adultery.” It’s not talked about, but in most areas of the United States it is ILLEGAL to commit adultery. It’s just not normally followed up on in legal proceedings. But it’s against the law, nonetheless, and often a large factor in judgments in divorce cases.
- “You shall not steal.” Yeah, I think this is against the law too.
- “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.” Yup, you can get arrested for this too. It’s called slander in spoken form, libel in written form.
- “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.” This means ANY neighbor’s wife… or daughter… or any other girl on the block. That’s why pornography is so limited in where it can be distributed. It’s illegal in many areas and for many people. Yup, laws against this too!
- “You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.” The only commandment that does not have a law attached to it – at least that I can find. But then, why covet something of someone else’s if you know you can’t have it? That might lead you to steal it, or murder in order to obtain it (take a look at what David did in order to get Bathsheba and then cover up his sin – all because he literally coveted his neighbor’s wife!).
DRIVE TIME DEVOTIONAL
A STORM IS COMING!
- R. De Haan, M.D.
Read: Proverbs 1:20-33
It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment. —Hebrews 9:27
We were in a small boat on the far side of the lake and the fish were biting when we heard a rumble of thunder in the distance. Looking up, we saw a mass of dark clouds in the west.
I ignored the suggestion of my fishing partner that it might be wise to start back to the cottage—I wanted to keep fishing. Then it happened! The storm was suddenly upon us. We tried to start the motor but it wouldn’t go! My friend tried to row, but the rain came in sheets and the waves tossed our little aluminum boat. We survived, but I learned a lesson. Don’t delay when a storm is brewing.
Another type of storm is coming—a day of judgment. It may seem far off, and you don’t feel you have to hurry to prepare. You may be in good health and in the prime of life. But listen, the storm may come upon you unexpectedly.
Proverbs 1 says that disaster will strike the person who foolishly ignores all warnings (v.27). And the author of Hebrews warned, “It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment” (9:27).
To heed God’s warnings is true wisdom. Have you sought shelter in Christ? If you haven’t, it’s time to stop “fishing” and seek safety before it’s too late. Turn from your sin to Christ. Do so today.
Oh, turn to Christ while still you may;
Too late, it soon will be—
A glorious life you then will have
Throughout eternity. —Anon.
Those who reject Christ as Savior will face Him as Judge.
IT DOESN’T TAKE A GENIUS
You’ve heard of MENSA, haven’t you? They’re an international organization of more than 100,000 members worldwide whose inclusion dictates that you be in the top 2% in intelligence scores among the general population. To get in you have to take a test. A test made up by members of MENSA. A test with questions like: “What human body network is approximately 96,500 kilometers long?” (By the way the answer is: WHO GIVES A BIG FAT FLYING FRITO?) The fact is, I could make up a test for radio people that nobody else other than radio people would know the answers to. That doesn’t make us geniuses. And MENSA always has that test, “Match Wits With Mensa,” on the internet or in magazines for us to take to see if we’re as smart as they are. Well, here’s a short test for the MENSA people to see if they’re as smart as the 98% of us.
“How much wood COULD a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?” (ANSWER: You can come out of your discussion group now, Einstein. A woodchuck can’t chuck wood. Never could.)
“Bishkek is the Capital of Kyrgyzstan. Spell it.” (ANSWER: I-T)
“What time does Midnight Mass start on Christmas Eve at St. Wenceslaus’ Church?” (ANSWER: They tore that church down years ago, you heathen.)
Who said, “Opportunity only knocks if the door isn’t already open”? (ANSWER: I did, didn’t you just hear me? You MENSA people just don’t listen!)
LIFE… LIVE IT
SURVIVING THE INFAMOUS TEACHER
(Woman’s Day) Did your child get “The Teacher” this year? Even if a teacher lives up to her reputation, you and your child can not only survive, but thrive, in the year ahead. Here’s how:
- The Strict Teacher — Focus on what your child can gain from the teacher’s approach. Know the classroom rules, and review assignments and homework with your child on a regular basis to ensure he’s meeting the teacher’s expectations.
- The Tough Grader — View the experience as a life lesson. When his honor student son got a teacher who never gave a grade higher than a C, Bob Nelms of Philadelphia encouraged the teen to stick it out rather than switch to another class. “Difficult teachers, like tough bosses, are part of life,” Bob says. Encourage your child to work hard no matter what the results, and help him adjust his grade expectations.
- The Non-Communicator — Think you’ll be forewarned of a D on your child’s report card? Not always. Ask for ways to keep tabs on your child’s progress throughout the marking period that don’t make unreasonable demands on the teacher’s time.
- The Crabby Teacher — Encourage your child not to take it personally if his teacher is irritable, and help put the teacher’s behavior in perspective. When her son had an impatient and scolding teacher, Dawn Bernett of Leesburg, Virginia, asked the teacher to list some of the boy’s strengths, and then shared them with him. “It was nice for my son to know that, despite outward appearances, the teacher liked some things he was doing,” Dawn says.
- The Confusing Teacher — Ask for individual help. If your child is still lost in a cloud of chalk dust, encourage her to find a study buddy in the class, and ask the teacher for recommendation of Web sites that explain the material.
JUST FOR FUN
Do women get smarter with age?
Okay ladies, if you don’t like this story, blame Dr. Paulk Lamet. He’s a French researcher who claims that through lifetime studies of more than 350 women, he has concluded that women do not get smarter with age. His study concludes that women lose their ability to think clearly when they pass age 40. He says it’s not senility… it’s just the ability to make commonsense decisions. ***MARLAR: And in case you were wondering, the opinions expressed by this so-called doctor are not necessarily those of the staff and management of this station… or this radio host… especially if my wife is listening.
TOP FIVE SIGNS YOU’RE BEING STALKED BY A CLOWN
- Size 25 footprints in the flower bed
- Rubber nose prints on the windows
- The words “I love you” appear in the front lawn, made out of balloons
- When you answer the phone, no one speaks: you just hear a bike horn
- Someone keeps sending you bouquets of flowers… that squirt water
MORE SHOW PREP STUFF…
WHAT WE CALL OUR SWEETHEARTS
(American Demographics – February 1998)
OTHER STUFF I WANT TO CRAM INTO TODAY’S PREP
Jordan Perkins says a prayer with his children every day before he begins work at the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina. Recently his wife, Kelsie Perkins, snapped a picture of him in prayer as their 3-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son sat on his lap — their eyes closed and hands clasped in prayer — inside the front seat of his patrol car. When Kelsie posted it to her Facebook page. It has since been shared several thousand more times. Kelsie said she and her deputy husband, who has been with the force for the last year and a half, emphasize the importance of prayer in their family. She told Today: “The kids don’t know the dangers of his job, but it’s something we do, for God to help him with the decisions that he has to make, to have compassion on the people that he’s going to help, whenever he goes into work.”
The Diboll, Texas Police Department is hoping to place a Bible verse on their shoulder patches. According to Law Officer.com, below the outline of texas and the silver star is a reference to the Gospel of Matthew 5:7 which is the Sermon on the Mount. Diboll Police Chief Steve Baker designed the patch and it was the violence against law enforcement that motivated him in the design.
A North Dakota woman was able to hear her late son’s heart beat again after meeting with the man who received her son’s heart in an organ donation. Lisa Swanson met Terry Hooper more than three years after Hooper received the heart from Swanson’s late son Levi Schulz. Swanson told ABC News that meeting with Hooper and hearing her son’s heart beat in his chest was “surreal.” She added: “It saved Terry’s life, so, to hear it beating so loud and so strong in him … it was a great experience,”
An artist in Washington state is producing a unique kind of sidewalk art. Designed and produced by artist Peregrine Church, Rainworks is a special type of street art that appears on sidewalks only when they’re wet. The works include hopscotches, whimsical illustrations and uplifting messages. Church told The Huffington Post: “The purpose of Rainworks is to turn rainy days into something to look forward to.”
Anyone who has kids knows how much of a pain it is that they outgrow shoes as fast as you can buy them. Now imagine how hard it must be for poor children in underdeveloped countries. One company has found a way to solve that problem. The Shoe That Grows is a one-size-fits-all shoe for children. Each shoe adjusts to five sizes and lasts five years. The company makes two shoes: one small and one large. Together, the company says a child have a pair of shoes that fit from kindergarten through 9th grade.
AND I LEAVE YOU WITH THIS THOUGHT
Now today’s career tip for anyone who’d like to work with animals. Please come by the station and drop off your resume.
THE TICKET Movie Reviews with MARIE ASNER
Marie Asner has been reviewing films for over 30 years. Her outlets include radio, print and Internet. For more in-depth movie reviews of the following films, visit www.Tollbooth.org. Ratings from 1 (Low) to 5 (High).
APRIL 22, 2016…
The Huntsman: Winter’s War—This time, there are two evil sisters who want the Magic Mirror. Charlize Theron is back as Ravenna and she has a sister, The Ice Queen, Freya (Emily Blunt) who can freeze with a glance. Can The Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) and The Warrior (Jessica Chastain) go against them? Great costumes. Also in the cast is Nick Frost. “The Huntsman: Winter’s War” is rated PG 13. Rating of 2 for fans.
A Hologram For The King—Tom Hanks has quite a job here. He is a salesman who wants to travel to Saudi Arabia to try to get a big ITT contract. Can he manage it? The movie is based on the novel by Dave Eggers. Also in the cast are Alexander Black, Ben Whitshaw, Tom Skerritt and Sarita Choudbury. “A Hologram For The King” is rated PG 13. Rating of 2 for fans.
The Meddler—What happens when Mom becomes a widow and has nothing to do but pry into her daughter’s life? This is the premise of the film when the widow (Susan Sarandon) and her daughter (Rose Byrne) clash. Mom eventually turns to something different and finds she has a talent for it. The cast includes Jason Ritter, J. K. Simmons and Harry Hamlin.“The Meddler” is rated PG 13. Rating of 2.
APRIL 29, 2016…
Keanu is an off-the-wall comedy about a lost cat. Stars Keegan-Michael Key.
Rachet & Clank comes from the computer game and is animated with voices of David Keye and James Arnold Taylor.
Mother’s Day is a comedy, directed by Garry Marshall with a host of stars including Julia Roberts, Kate Hudson and Jennifer Aniston.
# # # # #
WARNING: Don’t believe anything you read on the Internet or email (including stuff you read here) unless you can confirm it with another source, and/or it is consistent with what you already know to be true. The opinions in this publication are not necessarily those of Darren Marlar, Marlar House Entertainment, OnAirPrep.com, or any company or organization affiliated with aforementioned. (Regardless of how stupid you may think those opinions are. So there – nyah!)
Darren Marlar credits all non-original material to the author whenever possible. All other material is original, used with permission, or author unknown. We welcome all comments, questions, and suggestions. Darren can be reached via his website at www.DarrenMarlar.com.