(Today’s Health Magazine, April 1998) Are you burned out or just a little singed? Read each of the following items and rate how often the symptom is true for you at work or away from work. The continuum runs from 1 to 5 with 1 being never or rarely true and 5 being usually true.
1. I feel tired even if I’ve gotten adequate sleep.
2. I am dissatisfied with my work.
3. I feel sad for no apparent reason.
4. I am forgetful.
5. I am irritable and snap at people.
6. I avoid people.
7. I have trouble sleeping due to worrying about work.
8. I get sick more than I used to.
9. My attitude about work is “why bother?”
10. I often get into conflicts.
11. My job performance is below par.
12. I use alcohol and/or drugs to feel better.
13. Communicating with others is a strain.
14. I can’t concentrate on my work like I once could.
15. I am easily bored with work.
16. I work hard but accomplish little.
17. I feel frustrated with work.
18. I don’t like going to work.
19. Social activities are draining.
20. Romance is not worth the effort.
21. I watch TV most of the time when not working.
22. I don’t have much to look forward to in my work.
23. I worry about work during off hours.
24. Feelings about work interfere with my personal life.
25. My work seems pointless.
25-50 You’re doing well.
51-75 You’re OK if you take preventive action.
76-100 You’re a good candidate for burnout.
100-125 You’re burning out.