Looking for a fun Thanksgiving appetizer. Focus on the Families Club House Magazine suggests making cute Cornbread Pilgrim Hats! Check out the recipe on their website at http://bit.ly/1xR9vTv
cornbread recipe or mix
1. Prepare cornbread batter according to recipe or mix. Bake in muffin tins.
2. For small hats made from mini-muffins, cut 2½-inch circles from tortillas. For regular-sized muffins, cut 3-inch tortilla circles.
3. Cut off any rounded tops so muffins are flat. Spread honey on top of muffins, and place each muffin upside down on a tortilla circle.
4. Cut a 3/8-inch hatband from fruit leather. With a toothpick, spread honey around the base of each muffin, then attach a fruit leather band.
5. Cut a small square of cheese for a buckle and attach it to the band with honey.
6. Serve immediately with Homemade Honey Butter (recipe below).
Homemade Honey Butter
1 cup whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
1. In a medium-sized bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer for several minutes. It will become stiff like whipped cream. Keep beating it for another five to ten minutes, until the butter separates from the liquid.
2. Put the butter in a sieve to drain liquid. Squeeze out remaining liquid by hand or press out with wooden spoon. This makes about 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup liquid. Use the liquid in a recipe that calls for milk, such as cornbread.
3. Add salt and honey to the butter and mix it with a wooden spoon until blended. If you prefer the butter sweeter, add more honey, a little at a time.
4. Before serving, soften honey butter at room temperature for a half hour or longer. Honey butter keeps in the refrigerator for a week.
Tip: This recipe makes 1/2 cup honey butter and can be doubled if you want more.