Darren’s Daily Dose of Weird News

Americans are getting bigger – and wider – and heavier.  According to new statistics, obesity rates in all 50 of the United States went up over the past year.  ***MARLAR: So if California falls into the ocean, it may not be an earthquake that causes it.

Swede Jan-Erik Olsson, famous for the 1973 bank robbery that gave rise to the term “Stockholm Syndrome” in which hostages start to support their captors, allegedly continued his life of financial crimes after prison, then fled to Thailand.  After 15 years, he felt guilty, so he returned to Sweden and turned himself in to police.  But the cops urged him to stay on the lam, saying “Take off, Jan, you’re wanted.”  He insisted on confessing, but prosecutors told him it was so long ago, they weren’t interested.  So since he’s now 65, he applied for generous Swedish government retirement benefits.  ***MARLAR: So if I understand this correctly, the solution to crime in Sweden is to simply pay criminals to retire.

According to a study reported in the journal Circulation, heavy, long-term coffee drinking does not raise the risk of heart attacks for most people.  ***MARLAR: But reading the price board at Starbuck’s does.

The government has placed 12 species of flies on the Endangered Species List.  ***MARLAR: Thank goodness.  I can’t tell you how concerned I was about the possible extinction of flies.

A New York woman confessed to embezzling $2.3 million from her employer and spending it on lottery tickets at the rate of $6,000 a day.  ***MARLAR: She was ordered to turn over all her winnings: $12.

A study reveals that 86 percent of Americans love their jobs.  ***MARLAR: The other 14 percent completed the survey when they knew their boss wasn’t looking over their shoulder.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *