Darren’s Daily Dose of Weird News – April 27, 2010

Americans changed residences less often last year than at any time since the Census Bureau began keeping track in 1948. William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank tells us, “We are normally thought of as a country on the move, but now all levels of migration have almost come to standstill, people are just staying put.”  ***MARLAR: It’s hard to move when you’re unemployed and can’t afford a moving truck.

Police are trying to sort out how a couple got burned. The Knoxville News-Sentinel reported a man wouldn’t tell police what happened and the woman kept saying the lawn mower exploded, even though there was none in the yard. Police reported both were drunk. Officers saw a gasoline can, a lighter and a cigarette butt on the front porch.  ***MARLAR: Well, duh.  That’s what made the lawn mower explode!

The Center for Science in the Public Interest is attacking restaurants for offering high-calorie combinations of food, such as ice cream with cookies and brownie chunks or pizza topped with potato skins.  ***MARLAR: You know what’s really good?  Ice cream with chucks of pizza and potato skins!

A Treasury Department survey finds some 40 percent of Americans believe that payments to bank accounts using paper checks are more secure than direct deposit.  But a top department official says that assumption is wrong.  The department is mounting what it calls its “Go Direct” campaign aimed at getting greater use of direct deposit by recipients of Social Security and Supplemental Security Income payments, among others.  The Commissioner of the Department’s Financial Management Service says 80 percent of benefit payments are now done by direct deposit. Officials are hoping to get the remaining 20 percent to come aboard, to cut costs and reduce the risk of theft and fraud.  ***MARLAR: I’m a bit confused about something.  What exactly is a “deposit?”

The city of Boston is preparing a plan to allow its police cars to carry up to three advertising signs, each roughly twice the size of a bumper sticker. The city is having financial trouble and needs some revenue. ***MARLAR: Would it be too cliché to recommend Krispy Kreme and Starbucks?

Godiva is holding a contest to let a couple spend a romantic weekend in a New York hotel room in which all the décor is made of chocolate.  ***MARLAR: That wouldn’t leave me any time for romance though.

British doctors say many women who try to juggle family and career are suffering from a new malady called “stressorxia,” or losing weight because they’re too busy to eat properly.  ***MARLAR: Check it out – stress has a GOOD side!

A study in Britain suggests that the idea of a “male menopause” may actually be a myth promoted by drug companies. ***MARLAR: So my mood swings and hot flashes are caused by something else?!?!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *