Darren’s Daily Dose of Weird News – February 27, 2010

A Vermont convenience store clerk foiled a robbery after the would-be robber demanded $200 cash. Said clerk Michael Patel: “Let me call my wife.” With that, Vermont State Police said, a 21-year-old man ran from Ascutney Sunoco.  ***MARLAR: My guess is that the robber met Mike’s wife before and was just as scared of her as Michael was.

A Holstein cow from the Ever-Green-View Farm in eastern Wisconsin has set a new national milk production record. A Holstein tagged number 1326 in Waldo has pumped out about 8,400 gallons of milk in one year.  ***MARLAR: She produced more milk than all udder cows.

Three former waiters at a New York restaurant have filed a lawsuit claiming they were fired because they’re French. They say the restaurant’s management created an anti-French atmosphere.  They are claiming the environment was elitist, snobby and self-righteous. ***MARLAR: Wait a minute – I thought that WAS a French atmosphere.

A new attack ad on TV doesn’t target a political candidate, but something else considered quintessentially American: hot dogs.  The ad shows kids eating hot dogs in a school cafeteria. One little boy says: “I was dumbfounded when the doctor told me I have late-stage colon cancer.”  But the boy doesn’t have cancer. Neither do two other kids in the ad who claim to be afflicted. The commercial’s pro-vegetarian sponsors say it’s a dramatization that highlights research linking processed meats, including hot dogs, with higher odds of getting colon cancer.  ***MARLAR: Those weenies.

Burning incense may smell good, but regularly inhaling the smoke could put you at risk of cancers of the respiratory tract. In a study of more than 61,000 ethnic Chinese living in Singapore who were followed for 12 years, investigators found a link between heavy incense use and various respiratory cancers.  ***MARLAR: Churches will now be required to have smoking and non-smoking sections.

Here’s an argument for the anti-Creation crowd. According to Evolutionists, cockroaches have been on earth approximately 364 times longer than man.  But if that’s true, why is it that they’ve never held an election?

Scientists found 900 year old knives in a Peruvian dig in South America.  ***MARLAR: Yep, even the Incas were annoyed by Ginsu salesmen.

97% of the world’s water is in the ocean. ***MARLAR: The other 3% is in my basement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *