• Today is NATIONAL NEWSPAPER CARRIER DAY.
• FALLING CIRCUS DAY. In 1827 a circus went over Niagara Falls. Bankrupt owners charged 8,000 people 50¢ each to watch bears, tigers, buffalos, monkeys, wagons, everything go over the falls. ***MARLAR: Obviously before the creation of PETA.
• EAT AN EXTRA DESSERT DAY. Every week, Americans eat an average of 3 desserts, with 85% indulging in dessert at least once a week. 59% of Americans eat dinner just to order dessert, while 33% say they crave desserts more than 4 times a day. ***MARLAR: How do you crave desserts more than 4 times a day, yet only eat an average of three each week? You’ll never become a bigger person living like that.
• Today is EDSEL DAY, commemorating September 4, 1957, when Ford Motor Company introduced its infamous $350-million disaster car. It’s considered a classic now and is sought after by collectors. ***MARLAR: We’re hoping history will eventually vindicate my radio show as well.
• Today is GILLIGAN’S ISLAND DAY. In 1964 “Gilligan’s Island” premiered on CBS-TV. The cast was stranded for three full seasons and 98 episodes.
Our Mexican friends have gone world record crazy! Just yesterday we told you about almost 13,000 Mexicans setting a new record for most people dancing simultaneously to Michal Jackson’s “Thriller!” Now 549 Mexicans have set a new world record for the world’s largest mariachi band — in the city of Guadalajara– the birthplace of mariachi! The giant band played several songs including the popular “Guadalajara.” A representative of the Guinness Book of World Records, Stuart Claxton, made it official at the International Mariachi Festival. And just like the “Thriller” world record, this one was also stolen from the America as the former record belonged to 520 mariachis who performed in San Antonio, Texas, in 2007. Just in case you’re keeping tabs, Mexico also holds the record for the world’s biggest cheesecake and biggest group kiss which was set earlier this year. ***MARLAR: I would say, “C’mon America – let’s get it back”… but who wants a mariachi band to perform in the first place?
While few people enjoy a trip to the dentist, it’s particularly bad for redheads, scientists have discovered. Carrot tops are twice as likely as blondes or brunettes to avoid the dentist because of fear related anxiety, says a report in the Journal of the American Dental Association. Researchers believe its because the gene melanocortin-1 receptor, which causes red hair, may be present in redheads’ brains, making them more susceptible to pain. (Globe) ***MARLAR: So lay off – it’s not my fault I’m a wussy-man.
For the past two months, the city of El Paso Texas has been experimenting with a four-day work week. By adding two hours per day to employee schedules, the city has been able to squeeze forty hours into the first four days of the week, leaving Friday free. Earlier the city announced that the program, which has saved $100,000 in energy bills, will be extended through September 4. ***MARLAR: I’m still trying to get the boss to go for this. But he keeps spewing this nonsense about how listeners will want the show five days a week, blah, blah, blah… what about MY needs?
NBC’s “Today” show has hired someone with White House experience as a new correspondent — former first daughter Jenna Bush-Hager.The daughter of former President George W. Bush will contribute stories about once a month on issues like education to television’s top-rated morning news show. Hager, a 27-year-old teacher in Baltimore, said she has always wanted to be a teacher and a writer, and has already authored two books. But she was intrigued by the idea of getting into television when Bell contacted her. ***MARLAR: Her first story… “Do Presidents Need to Wear Bicycle Safety Helmets?”
A black bear that got stuck in a skateboard park in Colorado actually learned how to climb a ladder to escape. Officials discovered the bear in the sunken skate park in the mountain resort town of Snowmass, Colorado on Tuesday morning. It had wandered in the night before but was unable to escape due to the steep concrete walls. Then rescue personnel put a ladder down in and the bear climbed right out. ***MARLAR: And attacked the first kid he saw with a skateboard.
McDonald’s Big Mac turned 42 last month. ***MARLAR: And still under the original warmers.
That was no German shepherd chasing cars. Minnesota conservation officer Steve Peterson says he thought it was a prank when he got a call about a timber wolf going after cars on a country road near the town of Brimson. He also thought it might be a misidentified German shepherd. But then he saw it and says he couldn’t believe it. He watched as the wolf hid in a ditch, then took off after a passing pickup. Peterson says the animal looked like a big, healthy male wolf. He says he has seen turkeys, ducks and geese chase after cars, but never before saw a wolf do it. ***MARLAR: Although Wiley Coyote chases after quick-moving objects all the time!