FIRST TIME WITH HIS OR HER FAMILY DURING THE HOLIDAYS?
If you’re meeting your significant other’s family for the first time this year during the holidays, here are a few tips from relationship experts:
- Get briefed — Get the skinny on his/her parents before you meet them – where they grew up, what their hobbies are, what kind of things they detest.
- Come bearing gifts — Any gift, big or small, says you’re a thoughtful person.
- Be yourself — Sure you’re trying to impress, but don’t change your personality.
- Look them in the eye — Upon meeting, stand up straight, be confident and shake the parent’s hand, all the while looking him or her in the eye.
- Watch your language — Try not to swear, even if it’s common for you.
- Lend a hand — Just one or two polite offers are enough to impress.
- Watch the PDA (Public Display of Affection) – Even if you know the parents well, snuggling and kissing in front of them is rude and impolite. Keep cute pet names and physical affection away from the parents.