“The Highgate Cemetery Vampire” and 3 more TRUE stories of TERROR! #WeirdDarkness
In this episode…
* The first recorded ghost in the United States was reported in Sullivan, Maine, in 1799. And her name, was Nelly Cooper.
* Built in 1839, Highgate Cemetery, in Highgate, London, is now said to be one of the most actively haunted cemeteries in the UK. There were even newspaper stories that there was a vampire at large in there – the so-called “Highgate Vampire”.
* When a woman died, leaving no heirs and no will. A couple were brought in to clear out the property after the estate had been settled. When it came time to clear out the deceased woman’s shed, what they found was more than disturbing… it was horrifying.
* A neighborhood in old Louisville, Kentucky had a large tree that stood in the center of the court – and served at one time as a hanging tree for various lynchings in the 1800s. The hangings may have stopped – but the darkness surrounding it, hasn’t.
Tell your story so I can use it in a future episode at http://www.WeirdDarkness.com!
Please post a review of the show on iTunes at http://ow.ly/irgH30fHRxt! Posting an iTunes review helps people find the show more easily, helps grow the show, and encourages people to send their stories for future episodes!
This episode is brought to you by the audiobook: “Inside the Mirrors” by Jason R. Davis, narrated by Darren Marlar. Hear a free sample or purchase the title at http://a.co/8jII6zv.
Get the podcast on iTunes, iHeart Radio, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play Music, RSS, YouTube, or your favorite podcast app!
NELLY COOPER: THE FIRST RECORDED GHOST IN THE UNITED STATES: Written by Troy Taylor from the book, “The Haunting of America: Ghosts and Legends of America’s Haunted Past” – http://amzn.to/2yAHrej
HIGHGATE CEMETERY: Written by Alan Toner from the book, “100 True Ghost Stories: Terrifying Hauntings From The UK And Around The World” – http://amzn.to/2znJ24C. ***Referenced in this story: “Beyond the Highgate Vampire: A True Case of Supernatural Occurrences and Vampirism That Centred Around London’s Highgate Cemetery”, by David Farrant – http://amzn.to/2zF8qEc.
THE SHED: Written by Cindy Parmiter from the book, “More Tales Too Strange To Be Fiction” – http://amzn.to/2yAvtS7
THE MAN AT THE HANGING TREE: Written by David Dominé from his book, “True Ghost Stories And Eerie Legends From America’s Most Haunted Neighborhood” – http://amzn.to/2hQsmLX. ***Referenced in this story: “Life Behind a Veil: Blacks in Louisville, Kentucky, 1865–1930” by George C. Wright – http://amzn.to/2zpMEmK.
WEIRD DARKNESS PODCAST:
* iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/weird-darkness/id1078714736?mt=2&ls=1
* Website: http://www.WeirdDarkness.com
DAILY DOSE OF WEIRD NEWS PODCAST:
* iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/daily-dose-of-weird-news/id650756875?mt=2&ls=1
* Website: http://www.DailyDoseOfWeirdNews.com
* MY MICROPHONE (Neumann TLM103): http://amzn.to/2if01CL
* MICROPHONE PRE-AMP (Icicle): http://amzn.to/2vLqLzg
* RECORDING SOFTWARE (Adobe Audition): http://amzn.to/2vLqI6E
* MACHINE (MacBook Pro): http://amzn.to/2vQzD5g
* FREE MOBILE APP: http://ww.MarlarHouse.com/mobile
* POSTAL ADDRESS: Marlar House Productions, PO Box 2023, Loves Park IL 61130
* MARLAR SHEET (newsletter): http://www.MarlarHouse.com/MarlarSheet
* MARLAR HOUSE AUDIOBOOKS: http://www.MarlarHouse.com/AudioBooks
Music provided by Shadow’s Symphony. Used with permission. All rights reserved. For more information on Shadows Symphony, visit http://www.facebook.com/shadowssymphony/
Music provided by Midnight Syndicate. Used with permission. All rights reserved. For more information on Midnight Syndicate, “Soundtracks for the Imagination”, visit: http://www.MidnightSyndicate.com
This podcast is part of the BombPod Media Network: http://www.BombPodMedia.com