Good Housekeeping has these tips to make your home less of a target for Halloween gags:
- Be friendly when you hand out candy.
- Place jack-o’-lanterns in windows, rather than on steps or walkways, so they can’t be kicked over or smashed.
- Keep exterior lights on all night – even after the trick-or-treaters are all in bed asleep.
- Play loud music or turn up the TV so sounds come from the house.
- Make sure walkways are clear and well lit.
- Put cars in the garage or cover them with a tarp.
- Store trash cans inside; put away bikes, lawn equipment, yard decorations, and anything that’s portable.
- Keep pets indoors.