NATURAL RELIEF FROM STREP THROAT
Strep throat is an infection in the throat caused by streptococci bacteria. The most persistent symptom of strep throat is the severe and painful sore throat that makes it difficult to swallow any food or drinks. The condition is diagnosed at the doctor’s office with a swab test. Once confirmed as strep throat, only antibiotics can cure strep throat. However, several natural options will help relieve the sore throat while you wait for the antibiotics to take effect.
- Drink hot tea with some honey and/or lemon added. The hot liquid will soothe the throat. Many feel that lemon and honey also help, reports MedlinePlus. Add as little or as much honey or lemon as you like.
- Eat foods that will not further irritate the throat. MayoClinic.com recommends soups, applesauce, hot cereals, yogurt and mashed potatoes. Frozen fruit pops may also help soothe the throat.
- Mix 1/4 tsp. salt with 8 oz. warm water and gargle the mixture. Do not swallow the salt water. Simply swish it around your mouth and in the back of your throat.
- Spend time in moist air. You can use a humidifier in the bedroom or run hot water in the shower with the bathroom door shut to moisten a room’s air.
- Sleep, rest and, otherwise, just take it easy. Lots of rest will help your body fight off the bacterial infection and recover.
- Avoid smoke because this will irritate the throat.