TECHNOMANNERS FOR PARENTS
(Family Circle) Your kids learn how to behave or not from the adults around them. Here are five ways to set a good example:
- Silence is golden — Turn your phone off in restaurants, museums, movie theaters and public bathrooms. If you must be on call for example, you’re waiting to hear about a job, use the vibrate feature and take the call in private.
- Be discreet — Steer clear of inappropriate conversations, both on cell phones and when e-mailing at work. “See you at 8” or “Please take the roast out of the freezer” are within the bounds of good taste. Arguing with your spouse is not.
- Be polite — Don’t say anything in a phone message that you would not normally say to someone in person.
- Send your regrets — Always use regular mail for condolence cards or letters. No typing allowed; take the time to write them by hand.
- No multitasking — Don’t answer e-mail or check your voice messages and stock portfolio while chatting with your kids or watching their soccer match or school play.